Weeknight Turkey Tortilla Soup
This is now my family's most requested soup—so much so that they will make sure I have leftover turkey. You can spice up this soup and make it more hearty by adding smoked sausage or Andouille and some Cajun seasoning to taste. —Gail Lucas, Olive Branch, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: tortilla strips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sliced avocado and lime wedges
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, tomatoes, chilies and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Add turkey and corn; heat through. Stir in cilantro before serving. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 144 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Turkey Tortilla Soup in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.