Weeknight Turkey Tortilla Soup
This is now my family's most requested soup—so much so that they will make sure I have leftover turkey. You can spice up this soup and make it more hearty by adding smoked sausage or andouille and some Cajun seasoning to taste. —Gail Lucas, Olive Branch, Mississippi
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups frozen corn (about 10 ounces), thawed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: tortilla strips, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, sliced avocado and lime wedges
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, tomatoes, chiles and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Add turkey and corn; heat through. Stir in cilantro before serving. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 144 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 846mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Dec 30, 2018
Very easy to make - I added a little extra garlic and some seasonings to spice it up a bit. Nothing fancy but it does have good flavor with some extra spice. Topped it with tortilla strips, sour cream and cheese.
Oct 14, 2018
Simple and delicious!