Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded, skin removed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chilies, garlic, jalapeno and cumin; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in chicken.
- Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Top servings with chips and cheese.
- Freeze option: Before adding chips and cheese, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Add chips and cheese before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 200 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 941mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Jun 11, 2018
Tasty soup. Saut?ed onion and garlic on the stove top, then placed all ingredients in the slow cooker. Also added black beans as suggested by another reviewer. Will make again!
Dec 22, 2017
really easy and everyone loved it.
Apr 20, 2017
Thank you! This recipe is the best, cozy warm, a little spicy and very flavorfulit is now in my rotation, I have made it about 4 times (so far!)Can't thank you enough for this recipe!
Apr 7, 2017
This delicious soup was so easy and tasted like it took a lot more work than it did. I am going to double it next time and invite some friends over. I might try adding some corn and black beans next time, but it is great just like it is.
Apr 3, 2017
This one's a keeper! Made a few adjustments ~ I added more minced garlic and since I didn't have tomato sauce, I used tomato paste and some water. And I used 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes without the garlic and onion and substituted parsley for the cilantro. Because it's so easy to put together it's a great weeknight dinner. I paired it with some jalapeno cheddar muffins and we garnished the soup with sour cream, blue corn chips, shredded cheddar and jalapeno slices. Will definitely make again!
Mar 13, 2017
pretty good! I didn't have cilantro but it was good.
Mar 4, 2017
This hearty soup has just the right amount of heat to compliment the milder chicken flavor. My family loved this cozy main dish soup!
Feb 6, 2017
Wonderful flavors. Loved how easy it came together.
Feb 4, 2017
Easy and delicious. We put cheese and avocado for toppings. Will make again.
Feb 3, 2017
Holy Moly! GREAT recipe. Our family of 4 (two adults, two kids) loved this dish. Even our 5 year old said please make it again. Make sure to use the fresh cilantro, it really adds flavor. Delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.