Fiesta Turkey Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or rotisserie chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 5 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Additional salsa, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spread tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° 4-6 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Stir cilantro into soup. Top servings with tortilla strips. If desired, serve with additional salsa. Freeze Option: Reserving tortillas for later, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Meanwhile, bake tortillas as directed and sprinkle over each serving. Serve with additional salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without additional salsa): 203 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1264mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 2, 2017
This is a super fast and flavorful soup. It is one of the best versions of this soup that I've made.
Sep 20, 2016
Great Tasting and super fast - I added Avacado slices and lime which is they way it was served to me in restaurants in the Southwest - Had to substitute Ro-Tel for salsa still amazing - Thank you!
Nov 10, 2014
Very easy soup to throw together, and it received a thumbs up from everyone. I would think it would be better the next day, but I had no leftovers! Definitely worth a try.
Nov 8, 2014
Been making a version of this soup for years. I add a can of Ro-tel or diced tomatoes and 1/2 c. rice plus some chopped onion, garlic ,cumin, chili powder and a dash of oregano to spice it up. It's quick and delicious!
Jul 31, 2014
Very easy fast and easy. Tastes great.
Dec 1, 2013
Made some small additions, such as a tsp of cumin and thickened with masa flour otherwise all the same fast and simple ingredients. As a bonus our T-Day turkey had been smoked so it was bonus in the flavor department. Definite keeper in the recipe box.
Feb 5, 2013
This was really quick and easy. I used shredded chicken breasts and it was delicious.
Dec 27, 2012
This soup was very good. We opted to use crushed tortilla chips or tortilla strips salad toppings vs. making our own. Very good on cold night!
Nov 8, 2012
I made up this soup for lunch today. It was quick to put together, and had a very good flavor. I added one small jalepeno pepper finely diced to add a little extra punch. I also just used some tortilla chips that I put into the bottom of the bowl before ladleing in the hot soup. My husband even commented that he really enjoyed this soup. I think it is a keeper for sure.