Chickpea Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional ingredients: Crushed tortilla chips, cubed avocado, lime wedges and additional chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the red onion, garlic, jalapeno, if desired, and pepper; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, corn and cilantro; heat through. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 289 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 15, 2019
This soup was so tasty! I love salt, so I didn’t use the sodium free beans and even added some extra salt to taste. I also used canned corn instead of frozen corn and added the juice of one lime since the recipe suggested serving with lime wedges. The lime gives it a great flavor! So tasty and healthy!
Dec 13, 2018
I was excited to try a recipe that looked so healthy and flavorful, but this was a huge disappointment. My entire family could barely gag it down.