Chickpea Tortilla Soup
This vegan tortilla soup recipe is healthy, filling and family-friendly! We love how hearty and flavorful it is. We like to play around with the different toppings we add each time it's served. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional ingredients: Crushed tortilla chips, cubed avocado, lime wedges and additional chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the red onion, garlic, jalapeno, if desired, and pepper; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add broth and quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, corn and cilantro; heat through. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 289 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Bean, Quinoa and Chickpea Tortilla Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.