Anaheim Chicken Tortilla Soup
Put a little spice in your menu with my favorite Anaheim pepper recipe. The peppers, jalapenos and cayenne heat up this full-flavored tortilla soup. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 45 min.
Makes10 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 6 Anaheim peppers
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped, optional
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- Place the Anaheim peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil peppers 4 in. from heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Coarsely chop peppers; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Fry tortilla strips in batches until crisp and browned. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Add broth, tomato puree, cilantro, cumin, coriander, bay leaf, half of the fried tortilla strips, reserved peppers and, if desired, jalapenos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Process in batches in a blender until blended. Return to the Dutch oven.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add chicken, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne to the soup; heat through. Serve with cheese, avocado and remaining tortilla strips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 290 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 991mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Anaheim Tortilla Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016