Chorizo and Chickpea Soup
The chorizo sausage adds its own spice to the broth, creating delicious flavor with no need for more seasonings. And while it's cooking, the whole house smells delicious. —Jaclyn McKewan, Lancaster, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 3 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 fully cooked Spanish chorizo links (3 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the water, celery, chorizo and chickpeas in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 8-10 hours. Stir in tomatoes, pasta and salt; cook, covered, on high until pasta is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little water if necessary.