Ham ‘n’ Chickpea Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add the ham, garlic, rosemary and sage; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Drain orzo; stir into soup. Add chickpeas; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 312 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 9, 2011
Let me preface my review with saying that I typically like the comfort food diet recipes. However, I fail to see how this should be considered "healthy" when the sodium content tops out at over 1000 mg. I made this today and ended up throwing out the whole thing. It was way too salty. (And yes, I rinsed my chickpeas and used reduced sodium products.) I think the ham was just too much. IF I were to make this again, I would use cubed rotisserie chicken.
Jan 3, 2011
Simple. Easy. Delicious. Great way to use up leftover ham!
Dec 29, 2009
This is a very yummy soup and an excellent way to use your leftover ham. It doesn't make a lot either so it is perfect for a small family.I didn't change anything in it! Perfect!
Oct 26, 2009
Delish! I used ham that was leftover from Easter (and then frozen). The ham had a robust flavored glaze that enhanced the soup's flavor even more. My 2 1/2 year old daughter even loved it!
May 6, 2009
Very easy and hearty!