Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Ham
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic until tender.
- Add peas, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, parsley and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
May 23, 2017
I found this recipe online because I had a ham bone to use & dried black eyed peas in the cupboard. After reading the title "Black eyed pea soup with ham" and discovering that the recipe did not call for ham and the review at the top of the page calling this a "hearty meatless soup" with bacon being the first ingredient listed, I almost skipped trying the recipe but then I thought just because whoever put this page together was not thinking about combining this particular recipe with the title & review did not mean that it was not a good recipe so I did. I started with a ham bone, soaked & rinsed dried black eyed peas and added them. I used dried red bell pepper instead of green because that's what I had. The only real change was to add one Knorr Chipotle cube (if you don't consider actually adding ham a change). If you like your soup with a kick, the chipotle cubes are wonderful. Anyway, I give the recipe 5 stars when made with meat. I have since made this recipe using dried pinto beans & dried black beans, in place of the black eyed peas, in each case, adding a chipotle cube and it is now my "go to" recipe for using a ham bone. I cook this with the meat still on the bone (after there is not enough left to make sandwiches), and when the soup is ready, I pull the bone out & leave it out to cool enough to handle, then pull off the meat, cut it into bite sized pieces and pop the pieces back into the soup pot and serve when hot.
Jun 28, 2015
Easy, and has a really good flavor. My husband and I enjoyed this. Thank you for the recipe.
Jan 8, 2010
I had to laugh when the I read that this was a "meatless" soup, and the first ingredient is BACON! Anyway, this is a wonderful soup. The curry is what makes it, for sure. I did doctor mine up a little, I used an entire package of bacon, and I also added a couple cups of diced ham. I'm sure I tweaked the seasonings a little, since I usually do, but I can't remember now what I did. Nothing too drastic. I am making this again today to take to BUNCO and I know the girls are going to love it, too!!!