Ham and Lima Bean Soup
Pam Felstein trimmed down her hearty bean soup with savory results. The Owings Mills, Maryland cook suggests adding some instant potato flakes after the soup boils for a thicker version.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 8 ounces dried baby lima beans
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots (1/4-inch slices)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place lima beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discard liquid.
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook onions and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, ham, carrots, water, jalapeno, parsley, pepper and lima beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until beans are tender.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1.330 cups: 263 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 932mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 12g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Ham & Bean Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.