Quick Bean Soup
A co-worker of mine brought this soup for everyone to sample at lunch one day. I ended up eating a heaping bowlful even though I don't normally care for soup. It's that good.—Dorothy Anderson, Woodstock, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes6-8 servings (about 2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) navy or great northern beans
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, combine onion, carrots, celery and water. Bring to a boil; boil for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients; mix well. Heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 243 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1270mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Quick Bean Soup in Country Woman January/February 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.