Weeknight Taco Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips and additional sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, beans, corn, taco seasoning, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir in rice and sour cream; heat through. Serve with toppings as desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 333 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 1288mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 7g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2015
We loved this soup. It was easy and quick. I did not use the peppers because they bother me. I added stew meat and cooked it a little longer until the meat was tender. I also used instant brown rice. It was delish! Thank you for sharing! Will definitely make again!
Dec 8, 2015
This was a really filling and tastey soup. The only change I made left out the sour cream and added one pond ground beef. To even make it easier I bought Ralph's brand frozen onion and pepper blend instead of chopping the onion and peppers. Really great soup
Dec 7, 2015
I found this to be both easy and tasty. However, in order for it to have some authenticity I did not add the peppers as listed in the recipe, substituted chopped green chilies.. And, totally omitted the rice since I have never been served any Mexican soup with rice in it.
Dec 5, 2015
Will make this with Minute Rice Medley, which I use for almost every recipe that calls for rice.
Feb 4, 2015
I just made this soup ~ the taste testing proves what the other reviewers have found: a quick, delicious weeknight meal. Like the others, I made slight modifications: 4 c chicken stock (what I had on hand), omitted fresh peppers, added roasted red peppers from a jar (1/2 c finely diced), used diced tomatoes with chipotle, and added roasted diced green chiles I had previously frozen (1/3 c or about 1 4oz can undrained). I thought it was a fantastic meatless dish ~ the beans give it a good "fill your tummy" texture like meat would if added. I'm serving it with the suggested options along with fresh cilantro and lime. Dinner will be early at our home this evening!
Oct 21, 2014
This soup was very tasty. Hubby and son loved it. Took it to work for lunch the next day, still yummy. Girls in work asked for recipe. I used chicken broth instead of vegetable. I think next time I will add ground meat.
Sep 17, 2014
YUMMY! This taco soup is the best. I added 4 cups of vegetable broth instead of 3. I did not add the sour cream but rather decided to just serve it on the side along with the cheese. I served it with french baquette bread. Will definitely make it again. Family loved! It's excellent leftover.