Chunky Taco Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin or round steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil. Add pinto beans, tomatoes, water, black beans, corn, salad dressing mix and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-30 minutes or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 228 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein.
Oct 9, 2018
I used rotisserie chicken, chicken stock instead of water,
Dec 30, 2017
What a fabulous recipe!! I was a bit hesitant on adding the ranch dressing packet, but WOW!!! don't leave it out! this soup is just excellent.
Oct 27, 2015
This was delicious and very easy to make. I used lean ground beef and spicy taco seasoning. My husband loved it and thought it tasted more like chili than taco soup.
Oct 11, 2013
This is a great recipe! I have used an inexpensive chuck-roast cubed. Also, used two envelopes of taco seasoning. omitting the ranch. I did take the suggestion of adding an extra can of whole corn, great addition. This is a great chili recipe that tastes and smells like tacos. A hit with the teenage crowd!
Oct 24, 2012
A+ on this one!! We topped with cilantro,cheese and tortilla chips. Very satisfying and a wonderful flavor!!
Jan 18, 2011
Excellent, easy to make hearty soup, but not an inexpensive soup. I made the recipe first as written and have made the recipe several times adding a can of drained whole kernel corn and upping the meat to two pounds, cut in smaller size pieces. Lean coarse ground meat should work equally as well. I typically brown the meat and onion in a skillet then put all in a crock pot to serve hours later. As others have mentioned do not leave out the cilantro as it would definitely not be as good. We server with fresh flour tortillas.
Nov 17, 2010
Very good; don't leave out the cilantro.
Oct 25, 2010
I made this Excellent soup today. I used lean ground hamburger, andy my husband said "this is great, you can make this again." Indeed I will. Thanks for such a hardy, colorful healthy soup.
Aug 22, 2010
This is a staple in my home. I prefer to use ground beef instead of steak but it doesn't affect the flavor. I also top it with shredded cheese and torilla chips before I serve.
Jan 25, 2010
Don't forget the corn chips!