Taco Twist Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups picante sauce
- 1 cup uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Saute onion and garlic in oil in a large saucepan until tender. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, picante sauce, pasta, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Serve with cheese and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 216 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Mar 4, 2014
This was great! I didn't have green pepper so added a can of mushrooms--still was wonderful.
Feb 14, 2014
What a FANTASTIC soup! So much flavor! I changed a few things but am sure it would be fabulous as is. Used two cans of beans; one black and one tri - bean blend (pinto, black and red) used large onion and one whole large green pepper. Also added a half cup more pasta to the soup. It was better than chili and great for a meatless meal. SO filling!
Nov 11, 2013
Nov 7, 2013
Made this last night and my husband & I both really enjoyed it! Of course he would *really* enjoy it with some beef in it, but said it was great as-is! It's a keeper.
Nov 4, 2013
This is a family favorite. My daughters love tacos, but my one daughter thinks she wants to be a vegetarian so she loved that this was with black beans. I serve it with toritlla chips and canned tropical tropical fruit on the side.
Apr 8, 2013
Parfait pour les lundis sans viandes. Excellent!
Mar 16, 2013
For a meat-free soup, this was really filling. It was also very good. It was a nice change of pace from fish during Lent.
Jan 13, 2013
Crumble in some tortilla chips like crackers to make it more "taco-like".
Jan 13, 2013
This is a delicious soup recipe. I used fire-roasted tomatoes for some extra flavor. Since I forgot to buy picante sauce I used salsa instead.
Jan 7, 2013
Wonderful quick soup. Normally I shy away from quick soups and go for crock-pot recipes instead but I'm glad it gave it a shot. I cooked the green peppers along with the onions & garlic. I also added the whole jar of picante sauce (2 cups) and increased the broth by 1/4 cup. Next time I may add an extra 1/2 cup of pasta. Can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow.