Potluck Taco Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (1 cup dressing)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups crushed tortilla chips (about 8 ounces)
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons taco sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in 3 tablespoons taco seasoning.
- In a large bowl, layer beef mixture, lettuce, beans, onion, tomatoes, cheese and crushed chips. In a small bowl, mix salad dressing, taco sauce and remaining taco seasoning; serve with salad.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups salad with 2 tablespoons dressing: 574 calories, 34g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1109mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 5, 2017
I like black beans instead of kidney beans & Ranch dressing or sweet French
Jun 4, 2017
Love this salad. I used Italian dressing instead of the thousand island and next time I make it, I will use green onions instead of the red...otherwise, this recipe is a keeper.
May 28, 2017
Pretty and tasty in a glass bowl. We didn't care for the salad dressing, that would be my only change for making next time-perhaps a taco ranch dressing next round. Fantastic potluck dish!
May 19, 2017
I have been making this salad for over 30 years. My family loves it. The only thing different, I use Green Goddess, but whatever dressing you choose to use, the salad is still delicious.
Sep 5, 2016
My family of men love this and so do I. I could only rate this four stars,but it should be more like ten. I fixed it today for Labor Day instead of the traditional cookout. We love it.
Aug 24, 2016
I made this last night and must say it was really good. The layering of the salad ingredients in a glass bowl makes such an enticing presentation. I did not use the Thousand Island dressing as my husband does not like (but I do intend to use it another time on the side just to try). I served the salad with separate medium salsa and sour cream in bowls so we could just add what we wanted to. Will make again for sure.
Jul 5, 2016
This salad is awesome, sometimes I season the beef taco style,. Sometimes not!! All of our kids love this for dinner but some use a Catalina French dressing. Try it with broken Doritos for more flavor.
Oct 4, 2015
Good, simple salad.
Jul 5, 2015
Made this for supper tonight! Delicious, and went together so easily. Will definitely make again!
Jul 2, 2015
I pretty much do the same thing. I use refried beans, I add quaqamole (sp) and sour cream, and no dressing. I heat it up w/o the lettuce so the cheese and beans melt and heat up. I then add the lettuce. So good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.