Taco Salad for a Large Crowd
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes26 servings (1-1/3 cups each)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 package (10 ounces) nacho-flavored tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef with 1 envelope plus 2 tablespoons taco seasoning until no longer pink; drain.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese, onion, chilies and beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa, sugar and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 262 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 15, 2018
I made this recipe exactly as specified, except that I halved everything. It was good, but next time I would omit the beans or substitute something else for them - they didn't seem to go with the salad. (Maybe use corn instead?) I had leftovers, and it did get very soggy - if you expect to have leftovers, you might want to serve tortilla chips or dressing separately.
Jan 18, 2018
This is a solid recipe, and even the kids liked it! I did omit the sugar--it's really not necessary with all the sugar that's in the thousand island dressing. I subbed fritos for doritos, as I prefer those. You can really customize this recipe. I did also use an additional head of lettuce, because the ones at my store were small, and I'm really glad I did.
Dec 28, 2017
Is this served hot or cold?
Sep 3, 2017
I have the same question as Victoria. Can this be made ahead of time? Also, can it be refrigerated and served cold? If so, what's the best easy to store it? Thanks.
Aug 25, 2017
can this be made ahead of time?
Aug 8, 2017
This is always well received at parties. I stick with my original version of Catalina dressing, NO taco seasoning, green onions, corn & etc. I skip the sugar also. I crush some nacho chips in salad, but leave some extra out to crumble on top, same with dressing. Delicious!
Jul 29, 2017
We love a combination of Wishbone Italian, Original Hidden Valley Ranch and Dorothy Lynch.......trust me it's that good. Just Ranch and DL are excellent together as a salad dressing. I don't use beans and if I did I'd use pinto. Just another suggestion, put lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and beans together first and when you are ready to serve add meat and dressings then add your crushed nacho doritoes. Another past time favorite is some crumbled crispy bacon. NO sugar.
Jul 6, 2017
I have used this recipe for many years. My family's favorite dressing is Green Goddess. I like to leave the dressing off so everyone can add as much as they like. (and the kind they like...just put several out for their selection)
Jan 1, 2017
I got this same recipe from the mother of one of my college class mates in 1977 and have enjoyed it ever since.
Sep 17, 2016
What a Wonderful Salad. It surely surpasses any salad that I have made in the past. In fact I need more stars to fill in cause 5 is not enough. Plain and simple Easy and cheap and so full of flavor. Boot it up or go light on the peppers like I did . I used Plain old Green. But this recipe is so much more than Peppers. Its a Boat load of yumminess that I highly recommend for Entertaining, Pot Luck or Just Because .. Its a must try and yes it does feed a crowd and is still very good the next day.Janie Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor.