Taco Salad Tacos
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 8 taco shells, warmed
- 1/2 cup fat-free Catalina salad dressing
- Shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese and reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, bouillon, cumin and salt; remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomato, orange pepper and green onions. Spoon beef mixture into taco shells; top with salad mixture. Drizzle with dressing. Serve with cheese and sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos (calulated without cheese and sour cream): 334 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 6g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Apr 5, 2017
Very good! Pretty close to the way I usually make tacos! I had never had peppers in my tacos salad before, so that was a good addition!! Loved the 'crunch' it gave! I served this on corn chips instead of taco shells.Also I love the fact that you make your own seasoning and can control how much sodium, etc goes in it!
Oct 26, 2015
This is really a great recipe. It is so easy to use spices and herbs from your cupboard rather than those prepackaged ones. This is virtually how I make mine and this is how I can choose how much of each spice and herb to use. We use the grated longhorn cheddar, chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce.The beef bouillon is a nice touch and I use it in my spaghetti sauce as well. I use Better Than Bouillon which I believe has a superior flavor and no MSG.Most often though, we have the more traditional carnitas (pork) tacos with pico de gallo loaded with fresh cilantro.
Jan 1, 2013
i never it yet
Sep 4, 2012
Made this recipe as a salad on a plate without the taco shells. Crumbled a few tortilla chips on top. Even without the Catalina dressing my husband said this recipe is a keeper. This is a good thing because it's hard to find diet friendly recipes to suit him.