Vegan Taco Salad
The best salads are made with ingredients that have different textures and complementary flavors. In this vegan taco salad, you'll love the crunch of the tortilla chips with the sweet, crisp lettuce and "meaty" crumble mixture. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1-1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup vegan ranch salad dressing
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in crumbles, 3/4 cup salsa, chili powder and cumin; cook and stir until heated through, 3-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuce, beans, tortilla chips, corn, tomato, avocado, cilantro and crumble mixture. Combine remaining salsa and vegan ranch, poor over salad and toss to coat. If desired, serve with lime wedges.