Vegan Quinoa Salad
Toasting the grain before it simmers isn't essential, but it does add a pleasant nuttiness to the flavor of this vegan quinoa salad. Mix and match whatever fresh herbs and veggies you have on hand. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and well drained
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 mini cucumbers, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir quinoa over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes or until toasted. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, parsley, mint and salt. Add vegetables to quinoa; drizzle with dressing and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 227 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Garden Quinoa Salad in Fast Track 2019