Chicken Quinoa Salad
We pile our favorite gyro fixin’s into nutritious quinoa bowls. Our local gyro guy has a cool but spicy sauce that transforms his sandwiches. It’s a must here, too. —Leah Lyon, Ada, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 1 package (6 ounces) ready-to-use grilled chicken breast strips
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes.
- For dressing, place remaining water, yogurt, mayonnaise, chili sauce and cheese in a small food processor or blender. Cover; process until blended.
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse cooked quinoa with cold water; drain well. In a bowl, toss quinoa with cucumber, parsley, green onions, oil, lemon juice and Greek seasoning. Top with chicken, tomato and dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 341 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 590mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Grilled Chicken Quinoa Tabbouleh Boats with Spicy Feta Dressing in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017