Chicken Romaine Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Vidalia onion or honey mustard salad dressing
- Pour butter into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; stir in pecans and salt. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, grapes, cranberries and cheese. Add chicken and reserved nuts; toss to combine. Serve with dressing.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 252 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 6, 2011
I saw a remake of this recipe in the Healthy cooking magazine. They made it healthier by using cooking spray (rather than butter) and they also substituted half of the pecans with salted soy nuts. I made it today - and it was WONDERFUL!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.