Quinoa Wilted Spinach Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm quinoa, spinach and cranberries. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in onion. Pour over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pecans.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 171 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 1, 2016
My husband and adult kids thought this salad was delicious. I substituted chopped sweet onion for the green onion and reduced the amount of quinoa, probably by half. The toasted pecans were a great addition. I would not add anything else--there are lots of flavours that go really well together.
Aug 11, 2014
I wasn't impressed. I liked the idea of a quick, easy, healthy meal, but this wasn't doing it for me.
May 16, 2014
Mar 18, 2014
This salad is great! Took it to work for lunch to share and we all liked it a lot; I'll be making it again. I substituted lime juice (didn't have any oranges), and chopped red onion, and reduced the amount of quinoa as others suggested. I'll be making it again soon. I'll add mandarin oranges next time, I think they'd be a great addition.Update April 2014: Made this again, this time I made the dressing as written, substituted toasted sesame seeds for the pecans and added mandarin oranges - EVEN YUMMIER! You'll love this one, folks!
Mar 2, 2014
Not my favorite quinoa salad, but one that I'm willing to eat again.
Jul 30, 2013
Excellent salad! Was out of red wine vinegar so had to use apple cider vinegar instead and it tasted great. Also used finely chopped sweet onion instead of green onion. Next time I think I'll try it with grilled chicken.
Mar 20, 2013
Great salad. I cut the quinoa in half as someone suggested (and because I'm still trying to break my husband in to quinoa) and substituted diced sweet onion for the green onion, added diced cucumber and diced strawberries. Big hit, thinking about adding apples next time. Definitely will make again.
Mar 11, 2013
Not a fan of the quinoa, might leave it out next time.
Dec 24, 2012
This salad was very good; something different! I recommend using only 1/2 the recommended amount of Quinoa.
Feb 21, 2012
First time I used quinoa -- and I'm so pleased it was for this delicious recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.