Brussels Sprouts & Quinoa Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 shallots, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove.
- In same saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Meanwhile, microwave Brussels sprouts with remaining water, covered, on high until tender, 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, remove leaves from sprouts. Discard cores.
- Combine cooled quinoa, Brussels sprouts leaves, cranberries, walnuts and parsley. Whisk together lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining olive oil. Stir in shallots and garlic. Toss with quinoa mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 286 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 26, 2018
Jan 13, 2017
Positives first: it is a very colorful salad and easy to make. Negatives: it needs more than just the lemon juice IMHO. When I added balsamic vinegar, the taste improved greatly.