Pesto Quinoa Salad
My daughter-in-law got me hooked on quinoa, and I'm so glad she did! I've been substituting quinoa in some of my favorite pasta recipes, and this dish is the happy result of one of those experiments. I love using my garden tomatoes and peppers in this salad; however, sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers are equally delicious. —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2/3 cup fresh mozzarella cheese pearls (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Mix pesto, onion, oil, vinegar and salt; stir in pepper, tomatoes, cheese and quinoa. Refrigerate, covered, to allow flavors to blend, 1-2 hours. If desired, stir in basil.