Greek-Inspired Quinoa Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup Greek olives, pitted and halved
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat Greek or Italian salad dressing, divided
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, spinach, cheese, tomatoes, beans, cucumber, pepperoncini and olives. Pour 1/2 cup dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, drizzle remaining dressing over salad; toss to coat.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 184 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Feb 23, 2015
Wonderful! Made it exactly as written. For dressing I used my favorite: Ken's Lite Northern Italian w/ Basil & Romano.
Mar 28, 2014
Delicious and very easy. Followed the recipe as written with the exception of using fresh spinach which worked perfectly. This recipe is definitely at the top of our list!
Aug 1, 2013
Thought this was really great! Will make again for sure.
Aug 13, 2012
First time trying quinoa and I really liked this; my husband, who is the one who wanted to try it, just thought it was OK. I left out the olives because we don't like them and used fresh spinach, as suggested. The feta really came through strong, but I thought it was good like that.
Jan 5, 2012
Good stuff! This was my first try at quinoa, and it made it very approachable!
Aug 2, 2011
I have made this a few times with the same results . This is a keeper. I keep giving out this recipe.
Apr 4, 2011
Excellent flavor! I have made it over and over.
Mar 27, 2011
Loved this recipe, and have made it several times. Since black beans don't strike me as particularly greek, I have substituted chick peas and white beans. Both have been fine. Found a perfect homemade greek vinaigrette on another site: 1/2c olive oil, 1/2c red wine vinegar, 1 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, oregano, basil; 1tsp each pepper, salt, onion powder, dijon mustard, juice of 1 lemon. As the other reviewers said, fresh spinach is much better, but frozen works. Enjoy!
Feb 20, 2011
This is really good. I haven't tasted it yet after it sits in the fridge for a while. I am hoping that the flavors blend together a little in there. Always looking for yummy quinoa recipes and I found one!!!! Thank you
Jul 6, 2010
This recipe was incredible. I only used 1/2 the amount of peppers since some of my friends don't like spicy food. I would absolutely make this over and over again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.