Colorful Quinoa Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers and green onions into quinoa. In a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients until blended. Drizzle over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 143 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Dec 25, 2019
I made this for Christmas Eve potluck. The vegetarian and gluten free members of the family really enjoyed it. I used an herb blend quinoa which added a nice flavor, just not as festive as I had hoped. Will certainly make again.
Jun 24, 2018
I used a quinoa/brown rice blend. This was fantastic as a side to burgers, and rolled into a multigrain tortilla with some grilled chicken. Definitely will be making it again!
May 18, 2018
Delicious! I used chicken broth
Feb 21, 2018
Love this recipe! I go a little easier on the bell peppers - substituting one of them for a red onion or avocado.
Jan 28, 2017
Very pretty salad. I found a similar recipe online that had added a can of cihickpeas and one chopped avocado. I really liked the additions. I, too, like another reviewer do not care for the lime juice so I didn't put in quite as much as stated. I kept testing it until I found the right amount.
Dec 18, 2016
Loved this salad! I used tri-color Quinoa; added 1 cup of Edamame and I also used lemons instead of limes. The dish looked amazing and everyone raved about it at our cookie Holiday Party! Thank you!
Jun 4, 2016
I loved the combination of quinoa and veggies, but I didn't care for the lime & ginger flavor of the dressing. It's a shame that I wasted all those veggies by using a salad dressing that neither my husband nor I liked. I may try this again (halving the recipe next time) and use lemon instead of lime -- or maybe trying a balsamic vinegar dressing.... Upon reviewing the recipe, I think I accidentally doubled the lime peel, which made the salad distasteful. I do plan to make it again, but I will try a different dressing.
May 27, 2016
I thought it was good and a nice change from the "normal" salad, but I felt that it was a little bland. I added extra salt to see if that was what was missing, which helped, but still seemed like it was lacking in flavor.
May 20, 2016
This is a great recipe! Bright, colorful, flavorful and fresh!
Sep 3, 2014
This was delicious. I made this for our Sunday dinner to go along with BBQ ribs. Had allot left over so had it the next day. Still was yummy. My first time using Quinoa.