Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet orange pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the orange pepper, onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Stir in beans and corn; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and chili powder. Pour over tomato mixture; toss to coat.
- Spoon quinoa onto a serving platter. Top with tomato mixture, avocado and cilantro.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein.
Jul 13, 2015
Fabulous! Used as main dish for meatless Monday. I like things spicier so I substituted chipotle chili powder for regular chili Powder.
Feb 23, 2015
Loved it! Used as a side dish. Left out onion as I feel they can overpower a dish like this. And accidently forgot to add cilantro at the end but still delicious. Added to my rotation
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.