Quinoa & Black Bean-Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Turn peppers cut side up.
- Reserve 1/3 cup salsa; add remaining salsa to quinoa. Stir in beans, ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Spoon mixture into peppers; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until filling is heated through, 10-15 minutes. Top with reserved salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 393 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2018
I was excited to try a new, healthier stuffed green pepper but was not impressed by these.
Feb 19, 2017
I had a late crop of green peppers from my garden and they were perfect for this recipe. I used a quinoa blend and replaced the ricotta cheese with cottage cheese, like I usually do for recipes. This dish tasted really good. It got a thumbs up from everyone.
Dec 8, 2015
I have been trying to find meatless entrees for dinner once a week. I really enjoyed this and didn't miss the meat, but my meat-loving husband was not impressed.
Nov 23, 2015