Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 large green peppers
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Drain tomatoes reserving juice; set aside. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. In a Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in one can tomato sauce, corn, quinoa and tomatoes; heat through.
- Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the reserved tomato juice and remaining tomato sauce; pour over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 386 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 9g fiber), 26g protein.
Apr 23, 2016
Definitely a keeper. My husband and I are trying to eat healthier so I used ground turkey instead of beef. I don't care for green peppers so I used red, orange and yellow. Dirties alot of dishes preparing but is well worth it.
Feb 18, 2016
This is a great recipe. My family loved it.
Jun 24, 2015
Easy to make and tastes soooo good!
Apr 14, 2015
This recipe is AMAZING. I did some changes though. I did the vegetarian version, (because I was trying to clean out my produce in my fridge) with out any meat, but added a can of black beans instead. And instead of the regular diced tomatoes, I added Rotel diced tomatoes with green chillies (I'm a sucker for spicey stuff) This was kind of a whim recipe with the leftover veggies, and it is now my favorite! I am on a diet, and this was a tasty, filling, meal!
Mar 9, 2015
Wow I really enjoyed this recipe. I accidentally added a 15 oz can of tomato sauce when the recipe called for 8 oz, so I was concerned how that would taste but it was delicious. Also, the tomato sauce I had on hand was NOT salt-free, so I can't say how no-salt tomato sauce would have changed the flavor. Anyways I loved it and will make it again!
Oct 18, 2013
Really delicious recipe. I used red peppers and instead of plain quinoa I used a quinoa/brown rice 'Near East' brand boxed product. Quinoa alone was beyond my budget. They turned out amazing! I agree with one other review that they are filling and 1/2 is plenty!
Oct 5, 2013
Just what I was looking for! I had green, orange and red peppers so used them all. Added a bit of cumin just because. I had fresh tomatoes so added them instead of canned. Baked the peppers a bit longer than recommended as they were too crispy after 35 minutes. I also used canned corn since I didn't have frozen; worked very well. Healthy, tasty, attractive dish!
Sep 23, 2013
Excellent recipe! It ended up taking me longer to prepare than I had anticipated but the peppers taste great. This is one of my favorite recipes using quinoa that I have made. I made it exactly per the directions.
Jun 23, 2013
I used red peppers and canned corn because that is what I had on hand and they were great!
Jun 13, 2013
I've made these several times and they are always a hit. Tonight I used red peppers and pizza sauce rather than tomato sauce for a little change.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.