Green Beans with Peppers
This festive-looking side dish is a snap to make for a holiday menus or an everyday meal. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place beans in batches in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add beans, basil, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 52 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Green Beans with Peppers in Light & Tasty October/November 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.