Stuffed Green Peppers
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 6 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup instant rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine tomatoes, onion, celery, tomato sauce, water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut tops off of green peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, basil and remaining salt and pepper; mix well. Fill peppers with beef mixture. Carefully place peppers in tomato sauce. Spoon some sauce over tops of peppers.
- Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until beef is cooked and peppers are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 324 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1565mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Oct 22, 2014
To mowmow01: Did you brown the meat first, then bake stuffed peppers in the sauce?
Oct 4, 2010
By not boiling the green peppers, the taste is more vibrant and the fresh tomato sauce makes it taste fresh of out the garden, I did however bake mine at 350 for 1hour with a cover and they were wonderful...
Mar 23, 2010
I love this receipe with the exception of the sodium. I reduced the amount of sodium to 1/2 teaspoon, increased the tomato sauce to 16 oz, added 2 teaspoons of sugar and eliminated the water. The sugar eliminates the bitterness of the peppers and the acidity from the tomatoes.
Dec 30, 2009
try rubbing the inside of the green pepper with a little salt. Takes away the "green", or bitter taste of the pepper. Also the pepper seems to cook from inside out, and is very tender.
Dec 19, 2009
Good recipe, however, I cooked hamburger before simmering peppers stuffed. Also needs more seasonings as were a bit bland. Otherwise a very good recipe : )
Jun 29, 2009
I have made this recipe before.It is very good.It is easy to make and on a hot day the oven isn't on.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.