Curried Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is such a fantastic salad base—it's full of protein, it adds a nutty flavor, and it's the perfect vehicle to soak up any kind of dressing. If you like a little more heat, add more cayenne or curry to the dressing. —Shannon Dobos, Calgary, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min. + standing
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine first four ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber and onion to quinoa. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients; toss with salad. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 2 hours. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 176 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Curried Quinoa Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.