Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Balsamic Dressing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Broil: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 teaspoons olive or coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place vinegar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes. Keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Toss chicken with 2 teaspoons oil, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place on one half of a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4 in. from heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toss asparagus with the remaining oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from oven; turn chicken over. Add asparagus. Broil until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165° and asparagus is tender, 3-5 minutes. Let chicken stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- For dressing, stir yogurt and mustard into balsamic reduction. To serve, spoon quinoa into bowls; top with chicken, asparagus, avocado and tomatoes. Serve with dressing.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 491 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 42g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2018
I love bowl meals! I had leftover chicken from a previous meal and this worked perfectly. The balsamic reduction adds a great finishing touch.
Mar 23, 2018
Amazing flavor! Didn't change a thing. LOVED every bite! In the summer, the chicken and asparagus could easily be done on the grill. Thank you for sharing your recipe!