Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Balsamic Dressing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Broil: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 teaspoons olive or coconut oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place vinegar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes. Keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Toss chicken with 2 teaspoons oil, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place on 1 half of a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4 in. from heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toss asparagus with the remaining oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from oven; turn chicken over. Add asparagus. Broil until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165° and asparagus is tender, 3-5 minutes. Let chicken stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- For dressing, stir yogurt and mustard into balsamic reduction. To serve, spoon quinoa into bowls; top with chicken, asparagus, avocado and tomatoes. Serve with dressing.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 491 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 715mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 42g protein.
Dec 30, 2018
I love bowl meals! I had leftover chicken from a previous meal and this worked perfectly. The balsamic reduction adds a great finishing touch.
Mar 23, 2018
Amazing flavor! Didn't change a thing. LOVED every bite! In the summer, the chicken and asparagus could easily be done on the grill. Thank you for sharing your recipe!