Vegetarian Taco Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 6 cups shredded romaine
- 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, drained
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- Place four 10-oz. custard cups upside down in a shallow baking pan; set aside. Place the tortillas in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 425° for 1 minute. Place a tortilla over each custard cup, pinching sides to form a bowl shape. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until crisp. Remove tortillas from cups to cool on wire racks.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, beans, tomato, cheese, onions, olives and jalapenos if desired. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad ; toss to coat. Serve in tortilla bowls.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 257 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Jun 8, 2011
I tried this recipe about 6 months ago, and it has become a staple. My 5 year old loves the fact that he can eat the bowl too. And I love the fact that its good for him. For my hubby we just add some taco meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.