Campfire Taco Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 packages (1 ounce each) corn chips
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili without beans
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 jar (8 ounces) mild salsa
- 1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Cut the top off each bag of chips; set aside. Place chili in a saucepan; cook on a grill over medium heat for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of chili into each bag of chips. Top with cheese, sour cream, salsa and lettuce.
Feb 2, 2012
Fun dinner for camping!
Sep 25, 2011
We had these about 6 years ago at a basketball game , they were selling them at the concession stand. They were pretty good. I made them at home for a football game and everyone loved them!!
Sep 25, 2011
They have the makings available at our school cafeteria - call them "Walking Tacos".
Aug 20, 2011
We've taken this camping too, but I brown up ground beef with a taco seasonaing packet before leaving and keep it in the cooler. No problem warming it up over the fire. We also use taco flavored Doritos instead of Fritos.
Aug 8, 2011
We take this camping with us - always a hit. I brown the beef and mix it with the seasoning and then pop it in the cooler - when it's time to eat we heat up the meat on the grill and then everyone can make their own with what toppings they like. We use the cheese dorito's instead of corn chips - might have to give the corn chips a try next time!!
Dec 30, 2010
these are a great hit with teens, we have used them at several birthday get togethers, we call them " walking tacos" and kids can fill their bag with what they like
Jul 29, 2010
Excellent idea! This is obviously for a quick "campfire" menu. My kids and their friends loved it. So much fun, too. As JeanLT said, we prefer browned burger and seasoning too, but then it wouldn't be as easy as this was intended. I used chili with beans because that's what I had on hand.
Jun 8, 2010
"Walking Tacos" are always a hit. We prefer browned hamburger mixed with a taco seasoning packet instead of the canned chili.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.