Potluck Fruit Salad
Light and creamy, this tasty fruit salad gets gobbled up with gusto at every gathering. I can count on taking home an empty bowl.—Fran Du Bay, Corrales, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- 6 cups green grapes
- 6 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 kiwifruit, peeled, halved and sliced
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in the orange juice, lemon juice and reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring several times, about 20 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. In a large bowl, combine strawberries, grapes, bananas, kiwi and pineapple. Add dressing; toss. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 99 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Potluck Fruit Salad in Taste of Home August/September 2001