Patriotic Taco Salad
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 6 cups tortilla or corn chips
- 4 to 5 cups shredded lettuce
- 9 to 10 pitted large olives, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Place chips in an ungreased 13x9-in. dish. Spread beef mixture evenly over the top. Cover with lettuce. For each star, arrange five olive slices together in the upper left corner. To form stripes, add cheese and tomatoes in alternating rows. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 357 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 5, 2014
I added a can of refried beans on top of the beef mixture. It was very good. I also used gluten free tortilla chips as I am trying to cut down on my gluten. My guests really enjoyed it. I served it as a light dinner on July 4th as we had already eaten a big amount of food that day.
Jun 18, 2014
To make it more 4th of July I'll use taco sauce for more flavor, white cheese and out line the casserole with blue tortilla chips. Ill serve it with grilled tequilla lime chicken and pineapple/coconut slushies.
Jun 18, 2014
Cslowcookjw - you could use black beans instead of the olives. As Kristens198 suggested add a can to the meat mixture, reserving a few to sprinkle in the corner.
Jun 18, 2014
Have not made this yet. Would like to know what I can use rather than olives.
Jul 4, 2013
This was a great idea but I customized it for my cooking style. I added a can of black beans to add more protein and make it a meal. I also put chips on the side instead of the bottom layer. I used taco sauce and salsa instead of taco seasoning and tomato paste. Lastly, I used shredded mozzarella cheese for more red/white effect. It was a crowd favorite!
Oct 27, 2012
I use a White Cheddar Cheese instead of yellow, also can of slice olives. Serve the chips on the side=^..^= Yummmmmmm
Jul 1, 2012
This Is SOOOO GOOOD. I will Make This Over and Over Again...
Jul 7, 2011
see my blog post at http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/patriotic-taco-salad.html
Jul 1, 2010
nice and easy and budget friendly, great for a big crowd..