Patriotic Gelatin Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In four separate bowls, dissolve each package of gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Add 1/2 cup cold water to each and stir. Pour one bowl of blue gelatin into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray; chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Set other three bowls of gelatin aside at room temperature. Soften unflavored gelatin in remaining cold water; let stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat just below boiling. Stir in softened gelatin and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and vanilla until smooth. When blue gelatin in pan in almost set, carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups sour cream mixture over it. Chill until almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully spoon one bowl of strawberry gelatin over cream layer. Chill until almost set. Carefully spoon 1-1/2 cups cream mixture over the strawberry layer. Chill until almost set. Repeat, adding layers of blue gelatin, cream mixture and strawberry gelatin, chilling in between each. Chill several hours or overnight.
Editor's NoteThis recipe takes time to prepare since each layer must be set before the next layer is added.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 69 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jul 30, 2018
This was definitely the hit of my July 4th party! Although it takes time to make, it is definitely worth it. Followed the directions as written and it came out perfect!
Jul 1, 2017
This is such a fun recipe. Yes, it does take a little time to make, but it is so worth it! I love the white layer. It adds such a nice creamy texture to the other jello layers.
Jul 4, 2015
Made exactly as written (except I added strawberries and blueberries) and came out looking just like the picture! Can't believe I had no problems getting it out of the pan. It does take awhile to make. The first layer took the longest because it was still very hot. By the time I got to the last layer, it had almost set in the bowl before I had a chance to add it.
Jul 2, 2015
I followed the directions exactly as written - very easy - very pretty - very tasty! it is a great dessert to make. Cant wait to try it with other colors for other holidays.
May 24, 2015
This is a fantastic salad. Everyone was very impressed by the appearance and refreshing flavors. I put a mixture of fresh strawberry, blueberries, and sweet flaked coconut in the middle of the salad.
Jun 29, 2014
Also works at Christmas using green, red and white
Jun 23, 2014
love this recipe. i make it all the time. but i use different flavor gelatin. jolly ranch makes gelatin now and the flvor is better then jello
Jul 10, 2013
just anote also i enjoyed making the gelantin would do it again.
Jul 10, 2013
why would the top part of the gelantin fall after cutting 4 slices
May 26, 2013
This recipe is impressive, yet old fashioned & fun. I have a big military family so this was a hit!