Grandma’s Gelatin Fruit Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 2 cups ice cubes, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, liquid drained and reserved
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large bananas, sliced
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup water and lemon gelatin. Add 1 cup ice cubes, stirring until melted. Stir in pineapple. Pour into a 13x9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until set but not firm.
- Repeat with the orange gelatin, remaining water and ice. Stir in marshmallows. Pour over lemon layer; refrigerate until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in butter. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Arrange bananas over gelatin. Stir whipped topping into dressing. Spread over bananas. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 194 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 6, 2017
My family, young and older alike, loved this.
Aug 12, 2012
I searched for this recipe for years, until a cousin finally found it for me. This is almost exactly the way my mother used to make this!My mother used all lemon gelatin (I used a box of lemon and a box of pineapple) and made just one layer with all of the fruit and marshmallows stirred in. She didn't use egg in the topping, but I followed the recipe here and did, and it tasted just as I remember it.My gosh, is this delicious! The Cheddar cheese is just the right touch for the sweetness of all that gelatin, marshmallows, etc. Thank you so much for posting this!