Grandmother’s Orange Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 package (6 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 pint orange sherbet, softened
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Drain oranges and pineapple, reserving juices. Set oranges and pineapple aside. Add water to juices to measure 2 cups. Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil; pour over gelatin in a large bowl. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in sherbet until smooth.
- Chill until partially set (watch carefully). Fold in oranges, pineapple and bananas. Pour into an oiled 6-cup mold. Chill until firm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 161 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 15, 2019
I confess that I have not made this recipe although I would like to. I encountered a problem reconciling the ingredients with the directions. I don't understand how anyone who reviewed it actually made it by the posted recipe. There are no bananas listed in the ingredients but the directions at step 2 instruct us to fold them in. I gave 1 star only because the recipe is not complete so it is not accurate. Can you correct that please?
Apr 3, 2019
This is a long-time favorite Easter recipe at our house. We sometimes add some grated carrot and/or coconut and/or chopped walnuts. Easy and yummy.
Nov 23, 2012
I grew up surrounded by the old timers in my family who survived the depression era. They were fond of jello. The fondness continues on!
Jun 5, 2011
It was so easy (and quick) to make! It was wonderful. You do have to watch it carefully when it is chilling though, as it chills quite a bit faster than your typical jello salad. It is a great and colorful addition to a summer meal!
Oct 10, 2009
This is a standout jello! It's really easy to make and tastes terrific. With the orange sherbet, I think it would be just as good as a dessert as a side dish, especially in summer. As make-ahead dishes, jellos are great time-savers.