Molded Cranberry-Orange Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 3 cups (12 ounces) fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, divided
- 2 medium apples, cut into wedges
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- Sprinkle unflavored gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water; let stand 1 minute. Add boiling water and raspberry gelatin; stir until gelatin is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining cold water. Refrigerate until thickened, about 45 minutes.
- Pulse 2-1/3 cups cranberries, apples and orange in a food processor until chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in sugar. Stir fruit mixture into thickened gelatin. Fold in walnuts, celery and remaining whole cranberries.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan, an 8-cup ring mold or two 4-cup molds with cooking spray; pour in gelatin mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or until firm. Unmold onto a platter.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 154 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2018
I made this for Thanksgiving and followed the recipe exact. We all liked the flavors and it was beautiful but we were all in agreement that it was to sweet. The next time I make this I will decrease the sugar or omit it all together. I think the raspberry jello already sweetened enough.
Nov 19, 2018
This is a must for the holidays with my family they insist on it. But I see they don’t have the orange peel include it in with the recipe. I always make it with the orange peel through the processor
Nov 10, 2018
Dumb question...how much whipped cream in place of celery 'garnish'. And...where
May 25, 2018
I use 2 packs of jello. I sometimes use grapes in place of apples for a different taste, I use all fruit just chopped. Yummy both ways!! I haven't made this for some time. Thanks Carol for the reminder.
Nov 18, 2017
This is the "go-to" recipe for holidays. My Irish Gram used the old fashioned grinder that one would have to attach to a counter and wind, for chopping the cranberries and oranges. She also used the peel of the oranges. This was at least 60 years ago. Great salad/desert along with great memories. I'm making this for Christmas in the tree mold, with a dab of mayo for garnish. Old school. Thanks Carol Mead!
Oct 27, 2017
I used my bundt cake pan once for a mold such as this. Because it was so deep a pan, I had a little trouble unmolding it. It really came out with a big plop, but was OK.Also, I used a whole envelope of unflavored gelatin and 3 Tablespoons COLD water from the cup of COLD water to soften and mix the dry gelatin before adding 1 cup BOILING water. After stirring thoroughly, add the remaining COLD water from the 1st cup mentioned.
Oct 27, 2017
I used my bundt cake pan once for a mold such as this. Because it was so deep a pan, I had a little trouble unmolding it. It really came out with a big plop, but was OK.Also, I used a whole envelope of unflavored gelatin and 3 Tablespoons COLD water from the cup of COLD water to soften and mix the dry gelatin before adding 1 cup BOILING . After stirring thoroughly, add the remaining COLD water from the 1st cup mentioned.
Nov 23, 2016
This is such a great salad and it is so bad someone gave it 1 star because of a pan. It really doesn't deserve to look like a 4 recipe especially because someone didn't have the right pan. I really liked it and I liked someone's idea of putting it in a tree mold. Going to make it again this holiday season.
Dec 27, 2014
I've made this twice this year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love it! I pour mine into a 9x13 glass dish - works great! Love the orange and cranberry and I have also used cranberry jello with excellent results!
Dec 14, 2014
You don't need to special pan. A cake pan, a bread pan, anything you have in your cupboard will do. You don't even need to turn it out if you don't want to.