Orange Lettuce Salad
A flavorful homemade dressing sparks fresh greens that are tossed with colorful oranges and green onions and sprinkled with toasted slivered almonds.—Joyce Key, Snellville, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 8 cups torn Bibb lettuce or salad greens of your choice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- In a salad bowl, toss the lettuce, onions and oranges; set aside. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, parsley, salt if desired, pepper and hot pepper sauce; shake well. Drizzle desired amount over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Refrigerate any remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 104 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Nov 27, 2009
This is such an awesome recipe! Sugar the almonds by toasting in a nonstick pan with a bit of sugar. Just watch really CLOSE they go from toasted to burnt very quickly!