Easy Orange and Red Onion Salad
Here's an unusual salad that’s easy to prepare when holiday obligations have you short on time. The combination of red onions and oranges may seem unusual, but it's surprisingly delightful. —Edie DeSpain, Logan, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 6 medium navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- For dressing, whisk together the first 8 ingredients. Place oranges and onion in a large bowl; toss gently with dressing. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 127 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 148mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Orange and Red Onion Salad in Quick Cooking January/February 2006