Frosted Orange Salad
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 3 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cold water
- 4 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Stir the cold water, bananas, marshmallows and pineapple into gelatin.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in
- cooled filling. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over gelatin (dish will be full). Sprinkle with nuts and coconut.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 369 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2017
The sweet salad works perfectly for a Sunday Dinner. It has such a fresh taste!!
Jan 7, 2014
When I was looking for recipes for my families Christmas meal, this looked like a yummy and different twist to using all the ingredients combined. I ended up using a bigger pan than suggested and putting one cup of ice cubes into the pan when it was setting up in the fridge to make the gelatan set faster. When I first tasted this, I was not very happy. However, the second, third, and fourth days, it was totally scrumptious! The flavors of the pineapple, marshmallows, bananas, orange gelatin, and coconuts are absolutely astronomical and better after the first day. So just keep in mind, it is like chicken or spaghetti and if it sits for an extra day, it is so delicious you go back for seconds or even thirds!
Nov 1, 2011
Made this recipe and took it to school for a birthday luncheon for the Principal. It was delicious and had many requests for the recipe.
Nov 13, 2008
Delicious! BUT, I mix all(except topping) ingreds. in a DEEP bowl; let set up 1-2 hrs., THEN pour into the 13x9 dish. Dish is VERY full and usually spills!