Orange Poppy Seed Salad
In our area, olives, walnuts, pomegranates and oranges are grown locally, and I love using them in recipes. I include all four ingredients in a simple but refreshing romanine salad. —Faith Sommers, Bangor, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min.
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2/3 cup canola or olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- In a large bowl, combine romaine, oranges and walnuts. Place oil, sugar, vinegar, poppy seeds, salt and mustard in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well. Pour desired amount over romaine mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Refrigerate remaining dressing.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Prepare salad dressing up to 3 days in advance; mix well before serving.
Feb 10, 2016
What a delicious recipe! I did cut the recipe in half for the two of us and substituted pecans for the walnuts. We really enjoyed this salad and I'll definitely be making it again!