Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn (about 8 cups)
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Place sugar in a small heavy skillet; cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted and caramel colored, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool.
- Place romaine, onion and strawberries in a large bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients; toss with salad. Break candied almonds into pieces; sprinkle over salad. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 110 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jul 27, 2018
We made this at work for a function and everyone really loved this salad. Perfect to enjoy fresh strawberries from the local market.
May 22, 2018
This salad is worthy of more than 5 stars! The dressing is so delicious and the lettuce, strawberry , onion mixture is very pretty and tasty. The caramel almonds on top are a little trouble but well worth the effort. This would be great for a ladies luncheon!
Apr 22, 2018
Great salad. The dressing was delicious. Made it just as it says and I will be making this again for sure.
Dec 24, 2017
Family loves this one!
Oct 21, 2016
Refreshing salad. I made along side salmon and rice. I left off the candied almonds because of family preferences (sigh).
Jun 2, 2016
This salad was delicious! Very sweet. I used stevia instead of sugar for the almonds (with a halved recipe), and it turned out great!
Apr 1, 2016
I am one of those people who follow the recipe as is. This salad was a hit at Easter dinner and not hard to prep ahead and then throw together after church and before dinner. The sugared almonds added just the right crunch.
Dec 27, 2015
This salad is delicious! My wife and I love it with grilled or sauteed chicken breast added to make it a full meal. Be patient when melting the sugar for the almonds...it takes longer than stated in the recipe for me but it will eventually melt and is well worth the wait as the sweet crunchy clusters are the perfect compliment to the salad.
Jul 13, 2015
I've been making this recipe for years! This is a keeper!
Jul 4, 2015
Tastes like summer in a bowl! It's so good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.