Pasta Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) bow tie or small tube pasta
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse with cold water and drain. Place in a large bowl; add cheese, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes and onions. In a blender, combine vinegar, sugar, garlic, onion, mustard and salt; gradually add oil, blending until smooth. Add poppy seeds. Pour over pasta mixture and toss. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 255 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 111mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
May 28, 2018
I was excited about making such a pretty and relatively healthy salad. However, I found the vinegar and sugar overpowered the dish. I'd like to try it again but cut back on those two ingredients to see if the flavors of the veggies can shine through.
May 27, 2012
The dressing is what really makes this salad. It has a great sweet-sour flavor that really goes well with the veggies, even without the pasta! I did try making this with whole-wheat pasta and didn't care for it as much...I think the pasta was too heavy for it. Any/all veggies work well--I've added zucchini & celery with great results.
May 29, 2011
I've been making this recipe for about 5 years now and it's always a hit; whether I make it for home or for a potluck. I like to use a whole grain pasta to make it little healthier.
Jul 3, 2010
This is a salad I make often to take to pot lucks and barbeques. It is always a hit and people just love it. I am asked for the recipe often. It is easy to make and looks beautiful. I usually substitute the bowtie pasta with the tri color pasta, it makes it more colorful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.