Strawberry Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch white pepper
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 4 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- For dressing, place first seven ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake until sugar is dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Just before serving, shake dressing again and toss with salad.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 281 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 9, 2017
Made this for our church dinner and everyone was asking "who made that salad. It's the best I've ever eaten.". They especially liked the dressing.
Jul 29, 2014
My picky husband loved this salad. The sweetness of the strawberries with the tangy dressing was perfect.
Jan 6, 2012
I've made this salad several times and get requests for it all the time. Love it.
Jun 17, 2011
Loved this salad. I omitted the cheese and the nuts, added croutons instead. A definite hit at our table!
Apr 28, 2011
I love this salad but without the walnuts. I also prefer to omit the garlic.
Jun 1, 2010
This is fantastic. The dressing is woderful. I make the dressing for other salads also.
May 31, 2009
I chose this recipe for a funeral luncheon without ever making it before. The recipe was doubled and 5 batches served 100-125 people. Many asked for the recipe.