Special Strawberry Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (16 ounces) unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- Dissolve unflavored gelatin in cold water. In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat cream and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and vanilla. Pour into a 2-qt. glass bowl; chill until firm. Dissolve strawberry gelatin in boiling water. Drain orange liquid into strawberry gelatin; blend well. Gently stir in strawberries until thawed. Pour over cream layer; arrange oranges on top (allow to settle) and chill until firm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 233 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 10, 2018
I made for a family reunion and everybody loved it. I made this again for my daughter baby shower. I divided the recipe in snack cups with lid, made about 120 cups, gave cups to each person. Everyone enjoyed and wanted to take any leftovers. They asked for recipe. A very light tasting, not to sweet dessert.
Apr 7, 2014
I almost passed on this recipe because it seemed like a lot of ingredients & steps, but I'm really glad I gave it a try. The creamy bottom layer is so good & goes very well with the fruity layer. I will be adding this to my menu for Easter dinner.
Oct 27, 2010
This is a great recipe and I have had many requests to make it again. I didn't change the recipe when I made it.