Mom’s Gelatin Fruit Salad
My mom found this recipe many years ago and has since handed it down to me and my sisters. It makes an appearance every Thanksgiving.—Linda Stemen, Monroeville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped dates, optional
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in sugar, orange juice and lemon juice; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate, covered, until slightly thickened, about 1-1/2 hours. Fold in fruit. Pour into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray or a 2-qt. serving bowl. Refrigerate until firm. If using a ring mold, unmold onto a serving plate.
Originally published as Mom's Thanksgiving Fruit Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.