Fruited Lemon Gelatin Salad
As light and pleasant as a summer breeze - that's how I would describe this sunny salad. With oranges, grapes and pineapple peeking out of every spoonful, it's a fun, fruity addition to any meal. -Erla Burkholder, Ewing, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (6 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 can (12 ounces) lemon-lime soda
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cups halved green grapes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in soda. Chill until partially set.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add water to pineapple juice, if necessary, to measure 1 cup; set aside. Stir the pineapple, oranges and grapes into gelatin. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Chill until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the egg, sugar, flour, butter and reserved pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over gelatin. Chill until firm. Cut into squares; serve on lettuce if desired.